A few years ago I came across this idea in a Family Fun magazine and I thought it was brilliant. Every family needs a talking chair. It's a designated chair in your house where you can snuggle up and converse with your children. It's a place that you create where there is complete privacy and no judging or reprimands, only conversation.
We all have bad days or struggles and everyone needs a safe place to unload those struggles. The way you create this concept with your children is to take everyone to the chair you have chosen and explain how it works.
1. The talking chair is a safe place where you can tell your mom or dad anything without judgment or punishment.
2. Choose the chair you will use. Then make it known when someone needs to chat they only have to come to the parent of choice and ask for time in the talking chair.
3. Make sure everyone else knows when someone is in the talking chair, it is a private conversation and no one else is allowed to listen in on the conversation. This means your children will need to scatter and play when someone is in the talking chair.
4. Make a little sign, "Do Not Disturb" that can be stood up by the chair when a conversation is in session.
5. If you have younger children allow them to help you decorate it by coloring or applying stickers. Then laminate it with a craft laminater. If not, you can have it laminated at your local school store for a small fee.
6. Make sure as the parent, you follow your own rules. Do not listen in if another parent is chosen for the talking chair conversation and make sure you never scold, judge, or punish when someone shares their issue in the talking chair.
This is a great concept that provides a haven of safety where anything can be discussed and everyone feels the freedom to express. Open communication is one of the most important things you can give your children and one of the most lacking in today's hurried busy world. The next time someone needs to talk, take them to the talking chair and share a moment of unconditional love and a memory that will last for a lifetime!